Watertown, MA, July 25, to August 13, 2021. For ages 13-22.
* Teenagers who are visually impaired face a wide array of situations in school, at home, and on the job where they must utilize problem solving, teamwork, personal management, and specialized skills.
* This three-week residential program offers intensive skills training, socialization and recreational activities and opportunities to improve self-confidence.
Training areas and activities include:
- Increase self-awareness and improve self-esteem through understanding of personal strengths and limitations
- Food preparation from start to finish (i.e. menu planning, shopping, preparing, serving, and cleaning up)
- Introduction to personal finances (i.e. basic money management, banking)
- Personal care skills (i.e. grooming, eating, hygiene skills)
- Functional communication skills (i.e. handwritten signature, typing, keyboard skills, braille)
- Home management skills (i.e. laundry, cleaning, organization skills)
- Career planning resources
- Orientation & mobility skills
- Social skills and peer relationships
- Community experiences (i.e. independent shopping and resources exploration)
- Leisure and recreational activity planning and experiences (i.e. swimming, horseback riding, canoeing)
For more information visit www.perkins.org/get-involved/events/summer-3-week-skills-academy?fbclid=IwAR1XXZOtT1zNuCOIb6c7g_6YgbxNC3VrDTetiD-imNBlQU1CjJ1SCUeWO7E or contact Courtney Wescott: Courtney.Wescott@Perkins.org