Newton, November 30, 2017. For career counselors and coaches, disability services specialists, vocational rehabilitation specialists, job developers, clinicians, and other professionals who want to be better equipped to guide these clients. Finding the right job or career often poses a significant challenge for individuals with Asperger’s Syndrome / Autism spectrum disorder, and for professionals who assist them. Standard career planning protocols and occupational assessments are not designed to evaluate the unique profile of abilities and challenges of those on the autism spectrum.
* This seminar explains how communication, executive functioning and sensory processing difficulties impact adults in the workplace. You will learn:
- What is Asperger’s Syndrome
- How communication, sensory, and executive function difficulties impact individuals in the workplace
- Why occupational choices should not be based on interests
- Four steps to finding the right job match
- How to help individuals conduct better vocational research and prepare for interviews
- How to establish rapport, encourage flexible thinking, deal with anxiety and resistance
- Information is presented in non-technical language, and illustrated with examples from the presenter’s extensive experience coaching hundreds of adults with Asperger’s Syndrome and similar autism spectrum profiles.
- A comprehensive workbook includes strategies, tips, worksheets and assessments, and resources.
The strategies and tools presented in this seminar will increase your confidence and ability to assist individuals who are seeking competitive (not sheltered or heavily supported) employment. Topics include:
- Understanding how people with Asperger’s Syndrome think
- Translating strengths of the “Asperger Mind” into manageable jobs and careers
- Choosing assessments that provide a more accurate profile of abilities
- Best and worst work environments
- Addressing fear of change, unrealistic expectations, and other employment barriers
- Disclosure and accommodation strategies
To learn more call 617-690-2127, or email Barbara@ForwardMotion.info or visit www.forwardmotion.info/wp/finding-employment-that-works-boston-ma/
Sponsored by the Career Counselors’ Consortium. The Career Counselors’ Consortium promotes the professional development of career counselors and advocates for the profession by providing an open forum for communication and training, and an opportunity to connect locally in Massachusetts and regionally in New England. We achieve this by offering cutting-edge programming on relevant topics that advance learning, professional development, and best practices for career counselors and those interested in the profession. Learn more.
For more information visit www.forwardmotion.info/wp/finding-employment-that-works-boston-ma/ or contact