Acton, MA, October 9th – November 11th, 2019. Free. For parents and family caregivers of children and adolescents with emotional or behavioral issues. It provides importantl strategies for taking care of your child and learning the ropes of recovery.
* NAMI Basics is taught by NAMI-trained teachers who are parents or caregivers of children with similar issues.
* Learn communication tips, how to problem-solve, and the skills to help cope with the emotional impact of caring for your child.
* Find out that you are not alone. The group setting of NAMI Basics provides mutual support and shared positive impact – you can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. You also can help others with your own experience.
NAMI Basics covers:
- Managing crises, solving problems, and communicating effectively
- How to take care of yourself and handle stress
- Developing the confidence and stamina to support your child with compassion
- Advocating for your child’s rights at school and in health care settings
- Learning about current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications, and side effects
- Gaining an overview of the public mental health care, school, and juvenile justice systems and supporting resources to help you navigate these systems
- Understanding the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on your entire family
Preregistration is required to https://namimass.org/programs/nami-basics or Sharon 978-635-1287 or 978-857-5363 or firstname.lastname@example.org.