Minute Man Arc in Concord, April 4th, 2020. “Biennial Transition Conference” is for parents and guardians who are helping their loved ones with disabilities to achieve a happy, productive life and a smooth transition from school into the adult world.
Workshops and speakers TBA in March 2020.
For more information or to RSVP visit http://minutemanarc.org/events/2nd-annual-transition-conference-2/ or contact 978-287-7900
2018 CONFERENCE WORKSHOPS Topics included….
* Ask the Agency – Representatives from the Department of Developmental Services Northeast Regional Office will provide information and answer questions regarding: • Children’s Services • Adult Autism Services • Family Supports • Transitioning to Adulthood • DDS Eligibility • Self-Directed Services, and more. With Erin Krol, LICSW, Regional Eligibility Coordinator; Amy Nazaire, Regional Family Support Director; Lea Hill, Regional Autism Program Coordinator; Beverly McGovern, Regional Self- Directed Support Manager.
* The Many Facets of Adult Insurance Services and Supports – This workshop will focus on insurance options available for adults with autism, as well as those with intellectual/developmental disabilities in Massachusetts. A review of public and private options will be included. An overview of Medicare, SSDI and SSI will be presented. With Terri Farrell Project Director, Autism Insurance Resource Center.
* Guardianship – Exploring the Options – Attorney Meredith Greene will focus on the variety of legal options that are available when your child turns 18 and the pros and cons as you make that decision. Additionally, she will speak about the importance of the Special Needs Trust.
* Planning for Two Generations – Special needs financial planning is planning for two generations. Many children with a disability must be supported their entire lives, even long after their parents have died. Hear about an approach that reaches beyond the limited boundaries of wills and trusts to provide a road map to address your own family’s special needs. The ABLE account and its potential role in planning for your child will also be discussed. With Alexandria Nadworny, CFP® and John Nadworny, CFP®, from the Special Needs Financial Team, Shepherd Financial Partners.
* Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission. The Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission (MRC) helps people with disabilities to live and work independently. This workshop will include an overview of services and support through MRC, which includes Disability Determination, Vocational Rehabilitation, and Community Living assistance. Additionally, how MRC partners with other state agencies to deliver these services will be addressed. MRC is an essential agency to explore, particularly for those who will (or may not) be eligible for DDS. With
Jeffrey C. Roberge, MA CRC West District Director, Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission.